So, You want to know how to use headphones as a mic?
Then you are in the right place. We’ll show you how you can effectively use a headphone as a microphone on your PC with detailed steps. So stay tuned till the end.
You want to use a headphone’s Mic for let’s voice recording or talk with someone on Skype or Discord.
And you may have seen many people use a headphone with a microphone as a mic. Let’s say on Youtube or Twitch, and they are doing it very effectively, and you can do it too.
The backstory behind the Mic and the Headphone is relatively simple. Both use the same techniques to work. A headphone uses its diaphragm in a controlled manner to produce vibrations that produce sound.
A Microphone works in a reverse pattern. It takes vibrations from a user as an input and converts them to electrical signals to produce digital sound.
This means you can also optimize your headphones or earphones to be used as a Microphone.
Now let’s jump into how you can do it effectively.
Use your Headphone as a Mic on PC Effectively
First of all, Plug your Headphone into a Microphone input plug. Your Windows will automatically configure it as a Mic. Now you have to optimize it for your use.
Follow the following steps.
- Open Control Panel and click on Hardware and Sound. I’m using Windows 10, so your setting might be different depending upon your Windows version. However, don’t worry; they work the same way.
- Click on Manage Audio Devices under Sound.
- A Sound control panel will pop up. From here, click on Recording from the top tabs and Double-click on your Microphone attached to the computer.
- After that, another window will pop up for Microphone settings. Here on the top, there will be four tabs. 1 General, 2 Listen, 3 Levels, and 4 Advanced.
- At the General tab, You can check whether your Mic is enabled or not from the bottom.
You can play with the settings here and find the best one that suits your Headphone to work as a Mic. The settings that work for my Microphone will not always work for you. You have to Test every setting yourself and find the best one for you.
- Go to the Levels tab from the top. From here, you can change the Microphone capture level and Microphone Boost level from the sliders shown below. (Note: You’ll have to test the best one suiting your Mic.)
- Now go to the Advanced tab. And choose the Default format that works best for you.
- I usually keep it at two-channel, 24 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality). But it depends upon your Sound drivers or Sound card. You can test which settings work best for your Headphone.
- Click Apply and OK at the bottom of the window to save changes.
- 5 Best headsets for Streaming
- How do Headphones affect your Lifestyle
- How to make your Headphones Sound Louder
How to Test when Optimizing the Mic Sound
You can use Windows Voice Recorder to record sound and hear the results after every change you make.
You can also enable a feature Listen to the device in Microphone settings on the Listen tab. I usually don’t do that myself, but it’s just a personal preference.
Things to Keep in Mind while trying to use Headphones as a Mic
There are a few things that you should keep in mind when using headphones as a mic.
The purpose of Headphones is to produce sound. They can be used as a Mic; however, the capture quality of that Mic will not be as good as of a good Microphone.
The capture quality of a headphone used as a mic can also be deficient, so you’ll have to boost the volume up, or you’ll have to speak a little louder.
Also, this will not damage your Headphone anyways, so you don’t have to worry.
What is Microphone Boost
Microphone Boost is a setting in Windows audio settings. It helps you increase the volume of the sound captured form a Mic.
So if you think that the sound level captured in your Microphone is low, you can increase this level accordingly.
There is a detailed Guide about How Microphone Boost works here; you can check that out too.
You can check this video, too, for getting the best capture quality from a Headphone when used as a mic.
Here is the link to this Youtube video: https://youtu.be/zv84QkckRCQ
In conclusion, I would say that, Since I am a gamer from way back then. I’ve used low-quality headphones and Mic for almost 50% of my gaming journey.
And I’ve used these headphones as Mic for communicating with my teammates over Discord or In-game voice chats. I know it can get frustrating sometimes that you don’t want to spend too much on a High-end Headphone and Mic.
But hopefully, this guide will help you overcome this issue. If you have any feedback regarding this guide or any other articles, please let me know; I would appreciate it.
Note: Again, You have to play and find the best setting that suits your Headphone.